The park next to the Fire Station Community Center in the Near Southside is getting bigger.

The Fort Worth City Council voted unanimously Aug. 30 to acquire 1.35 acres of land at 1616 Hemphill Street to be added to the existing 1.7-acre Fire Station Park, located beside the Fire Station Community Center at 1601 Lipscomb St.

The city acquired the land from owner Piedmont Hemphill Partners, LP, for about $1.4 million. Funding for the acquisition came from Southside tax increment financing.

According to a city staff report, the park’s current size “limits the level of programming opportunities that are available,” and a bigger park will help bring more options for activities and programs.

The annual cost to maintain the park will be about $800, according to the report.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.