CORSICANA, Texas (AP) — Police say a woman has been arrested after a young girl south of Dallas accidentally scalded herself with boiling water and died when the woman failed to seek medical care for the child.

Police in Corsicana said in a statement Monday that the girl, believed to be 4 years old, suffered burns to much of her body when she pulled a pot of boiling water from a stove Saturday.

Authorities say a woman at the home tried to treat the child herself and didn't call for an ambulance. The woman notified police about 12 hours later when the child became unresponsive.

The woman, identified by the Corsicana Daily Sun as 42-year-old Juana Marquez, was being held Tuesday at the Navarro County jail on a charge of endangering a child.

Online jail records don't indicate whether she has attorney to speak on her behalf.

Her relationship to the child wasn't immediately clear.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.